Skip to main content

If you’ve been a council or public sector tenant for 3 years (it does not have to be 3 years in a row) you can apply for the Right to Buy.

Public sector tenants are people living in a property owned by us, a housing association, the armed services or a public body like an NHS trust.

You can make a joint Right to Buy application with someone who shares the tenancy with you, or with members of your family if they've lived with you for the past 12 months.

Those not eligible

You cannot buy through the scheme if:

  • the property is not your main home
  • the property is not self-contained (it has a shared kitchen or bathroom)
  • there's a court order saying you must leave your home
  • you're an 'undischarged bankrupt'
  • you're being declared bankrupt
  • you owe money to creditors

Some properties, like those suitable for older people, will not be sold through the Right to Buy scheme.

Right to Buy discounts

If you buy your home under the Right to Buy scheme, you’ll get a discount and pay less than the market value.

The amount of discount you get is based on how long you’ve been a tenant, where you live and the type of property you’re buying.

If you’ve already had a discount to help you buy a council home, this may be taken off your Right to Buy discount.

How to apply

Complete the Notice to Right to Buy application form.

Remember to sign the form and then send it back to us by post or email.

The government’s Own your home website has a handy list to check if you’re able to use this scheme. There’s also a Right to Buy calculator to help you decide if you can afford to buy your home.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?