Skip to main content

Bins at new properties

Skip to contents of guide

Developers and builders need to consider waste storage facilities at the earliest stages of development.

You can find guidance on our Standards for Storage and Access to Refuse and Recycling Containers in our Planning Guidance Note. Make sure to use the most up-to-date Planning Guidance Note at the point of build.

Standard service for properties with individual containers

Each property should be provided with individual containers. The following containers are provided as standard for the storage and collection of rubbish, recycling and food (Bournemouth and Christchurch) to households:

  • one 180 litre black rubbish bin*
  • one 240 litre black recycling bin with blue lid*
  • one 23 litre brown outdoor food waste container* (Bournemouth and Christchurch)
  • one optional indoor 7 litre brown food kitchen caddy (Bournemouth and Christchurch)
  • one or more optional and chargeable 240 litre black garden bin with green lid

*eligible households may apply and pay for additional bins.

Standard service for flats and apartment blocks

Allocation of bins will be equivalent to the standard service for properties with individual containers, but using communal bins.

The number of containers will depend on the number of properties in the development. The overall capacity provided for each waste type would be roughly equivalent to the standard capacity described above.

The calculation used to estimate the rubbish and recycling capacity is:

  • number of households x 180 litre capacity (rubbish)
  • number of households x 240 litre capacity (recycling)

Containers are available in sizes ranging from 180 litre to 1280 litre.

Opt in food collection service for flats and apartment blocks

If your flat has shared bins and you are in Bournemouth and Christchurch, you can to opt in to have household food waste bin collections.

Optional garden waste collections

240 litre black garden bins with green lids are available for a charge, for properties with individual containers, and flat and apartment blocks. This optional, paid for service would be dependent on the residents' preference and can be rolled out after the development has been completed.

Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

Each HMO qualifies for one standard allowance. Larger HMOs with 5 or more people living in them may also apply and pay for additional bins - a 180 litre rubbish bin, a 240 litre recycling bin and, in Bournemouth and Christchurch, a 23 litre food bin - as long as recycling is of a high quality at the property.

If the HMO generates more waste than the standard and the additional allowance, the landlord must either arrange for the removal of the waste themselves, or pay a registered waste carrier to do so.

The landlord would need a waste carrier's licence to remove the waste themselves, and pay for waste disposal at a licenced facility such as our household recycling centres.

Delivery and installation of bins

It is the responsibility of the developer or builder to order the correct bins from us. We do not hold all bins in stock. Bins can take up to 12 weeks to arrive.

If a developer or builder purchases the required bins, it will be their own responsibility to recover the charge from their property owners.


The current charges for individual bins are:

  • £45 for a 180 litre black bin
  • £55 for a 240 litre black recycling bin with a blue lid

The current charges for communal bins are:

  • £185 for a 660 litre rubbish or recycling bin
  • £195 for a 1100 litre rubbish or recycling bin

VAT is not applicable and therefore not charged.

The charge is made for the supply of the bin only, and the bin will always remain the property of BCP Council and should not be removed from the premises under any circumstances. Effectively we provide the bin on a long-term loan arrangement.


Payment must be made when bins are requested. Bins will not be supplied and delivered prior to receipt of payment. Payment can be made by credit card or debit card. No cheques will be accepted and although invoices can be raised, they would need to be paid before new bins will be issued.

Have you encountered a problem with this page?