Skip to content

Section 171 licence

You will need a Section 171 licence if your works involve the breaking up of the highway, such as installing or extending a vehicle access. You must ensure all planning conditions are met as a Section 171 licence does not overrule any planning constraints.

All applications must be submitted at least one month in advance of commencement of the proposed works. Where a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is required, such as a road closure, you will need to adhere to the required timescales.

If you are applying for a Section 171 to construct a dropped kerb, you will need permission from the dropped kerb team.

If anything changes during your works, it is your responsibility to keep us informed. This is particularly important if your works are likely to overrun the scheduled end date.


The cost of a Section 171 licence is:

  • £350 for a Section 171 licence
  • £756 for a retrospective Section 171 licence plus inspection fees.

How to apply

You can apply online for a Section 171 licence. Before you apply you should read our terms and guidance. During the application process you will need to provide:

  • permission from the Highway Authority to undertake the works
  • an approved Temporary Traffic Regulation Order and temporary traffic signals (if required)
  • a plan showing the extent of proposed works (marked in red)
  • a copy of a valid public liability insurance certificate for a minimum of £10 million
  • a Traffic Management Plan
  • supervisor and operatives street works accreditation approval to submit.

There are no results that match your criteria.