New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) Section 50
Under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) you need a Section 50 licence if you place or retain apparatus in or on the highway. You must ensure all planning conditions are met as a Section 50 licence does not overrule any planning constraints.
All applications must be submitted at least one month in advance of the commencement of the proposed works. Where a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is required, such as a road closure, you will need to adhere to the required timescales.
If you are connecting to an underground apparatus, please make sure you have the required permissions.
If anything changes during your works, it is your responsibility to keep us informed. This is particularly important if your works are likely to overrun the scheduled end date.
Section 50 licence fees
The cost of a Section 50 licence is:
- £700 to install a new apparatus (SWL02)
- £480 to work on an existing apparatus (SWL03).
Retrospective Section 50 licence fees
The cost of a retrospective Section 50 licence is:
- £880 to install a new apparatus (SWL02)
- £609 to work on an existing apparatus (SWL03).
How to apply
You can apply online for a Section 50 licence. Before you apply you should read our terms and guidance. During the application process you will need to provide:
- an approved Temporary Traffic Regulation Order and temporary traffic signals (if required)
- a plan showing the extent of proposed works (marked in red)
- a copy of a valid public liability insurance certificate for a minimum of £10 million
- a Traffic Management Plan
- supervisor and operatives street works accreditation approval to submit
- approval from the owner of the apparatus you are connecting to.