Flooding on roads and highways
Check if you are at risk of flooding now or in the next few days with Environment Agency flood warnings.
Register for flood warnings and alerts if your home or business is at risk of flooding at the Environment Agency Floodline or use the 24 hr Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
Sandbags are rarely effective and we are unable to provide them to homes and businesses.
What we do about flooding
We aim to:
- schedule maintenance such as gully emptying to areas at greater risk of flooding
- work with Wessex Water who are responsible for the public sewer beyond highway drainage
- prioritise our planning and response based on Environment Agency alerts and warnings and liaise with emergency services
- share the information we gather about local flooding with the Environment Agency and water authorities, to manage flood risks by highlighting areas most likely to flood
- encourage residents and businesses to plan and prepare for flooding.
View our Strategic Flood Risk Assessment.
What we cannot do about flooding
We are unable to:
- inspect, clean and prepare every drain, ditch and culvert. There are in excess of 58,000 road gullies
- respond to every flooding incident
- provide sandbags and other flood defence equipment to residents or businesses.
What you can do about flooding
You can help by:
Insurance if you live in a flood risk area or have made a flood claim
Flood Re has been set up to help insurers provide affordable home insurance for people who live in a flood risk area.
If your home meets the Flood Re criteria, then contact insurers who are participating in the scheme.