Skip to content

Energy Performance Certificates

Improving energy efficiency

Energy Performance Certifications (EPCs) are part of a European drive to reduce emissions and tackle climate change.
Since 2008 all properties when sold, built, or rented need to have an Energy Performance Certificate.
Larger public buildings need to display a Display Energy Certificate (DEC).
Read the government's information on EPCs for business owners.

When you need an EPC

You must have an EPC if:

  • you rent out or sell the premises
  • a building under construction is finished
  • there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems.

You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you do not make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant.

When to display an EPC

You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:

  • the total useful floor area is over 500 square metres
  • the building is frequently visited by the public
  • an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction.

Holiday lets

It is the responsibility of the owner of a holiday let to ensure that the property has an EPC.

Accredited Energy Assessors produce the EPC alongside an associated report, which suggests improvements, which may help to make the building more energy efficient.

Air conditioning

Building owners and managers who control air conditioning systems have statutory obligations and duties of care in the operation and maintenance of air conditioning systems. These include regular inspections.  

Find out more about air conditioning inspections.

Getting an EPC

You can only get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) from a commercial energy assessor.

The type of assessor you’ll need will depend on the complexity and features of the building. If you need advice on choosing one, speak to a commercial (non-domestic) energy assessor or contact the approved accreditation scheme they belong to.