Skip to content

Alcohol sales personal licence

A Personal licence allows an individual to be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) at a licensed premise that sells or supplies alcohol. 

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age, and not had a Personal licence forfeited within the last five years. You must also hold an accredited licensing qualification and must declare any convictions for any relevant or foreign offence.

Applicants must be entitled to work in the UK and must not be subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. A licence will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to live and work in the UK.

Application requirements and guidance

The applicant must apply to the Local Authority in which they live, not to the Authority in which the licensed premise is located. Before making your application, check your postcode to see which council you should apply to.

The applicant should also provide:

  • a criminal conviction certificate or criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Intelligence Service or
  • a basic disclosure of convictions and declaration form and
  • two photographs of yourself, one which is endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification and
  • the original or a certified copy of your Level 2 qualification for Personal licence holder and
  • proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom.

How to apply

Submit your application form and disclosure of convictions and declaration form together with the supporting documents to:

Please note there is a fee of £37.

How to update your licence

Tell the council which originally issued your licence about any changes.

To change your name or address, write to us with:

  • your new name or address
  • both the paper part and the card part of your personal licence (or if you are unable to find it, report that your licence has been lost to the police and provide us with the reference number)
  • a fee of £10.50.