Register a birth
Coronavirus (COVID-19): changes to service
Register offices have re-opened with new processes in place for appointments.
See general information about changes to services.
When and where to register
You must register the birth of your baby within 42 days of the baby's. If your baby was born:
- within the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area, you can register at any of our three offices
- outside the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area, you can come to our offices and we'll send a declaration to the relevant office for you.
Should you later need copies of the birth certificate, you will need to contact the register office where the registration took place.
Who can register a birth
If the parents are not married to each other at the time of the birth, the father's details may be entered when the mother and father attend together to register the birth.
- one of the parents if the parents are married to each other
- the mother, or the mother and father together if they are not married to each other
- you cannot ask a friend or relative to register the birth on your behalf.
Certificates ordered before or at the time of the registration will be £11 each. Payment is made by credit or debit card.
You can buy copies of the birth certificate when you register the birth. This is needed for passport applications, school admissions, and opening a bank account.
After the appointment, the fees will be:
- express same-day collection service £35
- all other certificates £11.
Book an appointment
Appointments are made using our booking system
Register Office contact details