Skip to content

Carers and care workers exemption

If you’re a carer or care worker, you may be eligible to an exemption on your Council Tax.

Find out if you’re eligible

Carers and care workers may be disregarded for Council Tax, provided they meet the eligibility criteria.

Care is provided on a voluntary basis

The person providing care must not be a disqualified relative namely a spouse/civil partner (married or unmarried) or the parent of a child under 18 years.

The person being cared for must be entitled to at least one of the following state benefits:

  • any rate of Attendance Allowance
  • the middle or highest rate care component of a Disability Living Allowance
  • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • the highest amount of increase in Disablement Pension
  • an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • the carer must live in the same property
  • the carer must provide care for at least an average of 35 hours a week.

Where care is provided on a paid basis

If care is provided on a paid basis, the carer must be:

  • paid no more than £44 a week
  • employed to provide care or support for at least 24 hours a week
  • be employed by a local authority or charity (or employed direct by the person being cared for if introduced via a local authority or charity)
  • resident in premises provided by the employer for the purpose of providing the care.

How to apply

To apply for an exemption, please complete our form. You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number.

If you need any help with completing the form, please contact us.