New to you
Jubilee weekend closure
Please note that New to you will not be open on Saturday 4 June 2022, Jubilee weekend.
About New to you
Come and visit New to you, a shop full of affordable reclaimed items. Stock changes weekly and includes furniture, crockery, ornaments, toys, sporting equipment and bric a brac.
The purpose of the project is to:
- support disadvantaged local people who are in need of essential items required to set up a home and for day to day living
- be a self-funding scheme
- sell items in a shop available for all members of the public to visit
- improve environmental performance by diverting material from landfill and increasing reuse.
New to you is open on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm.
There may be some Saturdays throughout the year when it may be closed so we recommend customers check the Facebook page before travelling.
New to you
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council
Cabot Lane Depot
(behind IMO car wash and next to the Dolphin Indoor Bowls Club)
Donating your items
If you have any items you think are suitable for reuse please either consider taking it to a charity or bring them to Bournemouth Recycling Centre or Poole Recycling Centre.
Please advise a member of staff that your item is suitable for reuse.
Please note we can take items from Poole residents and Dorset Council permit holders only at Poole Recycling Centre and from Bournemouth residents only at Bournemouth Recycling Centre.
We ask that items are not taken directly to the New to you shop unless specifically requested.
Reusing unwanted items
Reuse is often confused with recycling however reuse is typically more beneficial as it prolongs the life of a particular item. Therefore reuse can be the most efficient use of existing resources.
Some of the advantages of reusing products include:
- keeps goods and materials out of the waste stream
- creates less air and water pollution than making a new item or recycling
- results in less hazardous waste
- saves money in purchases and disposal costs
- creates an affordable supply of goods that are often of excellent quality.
Many items brought to the household recycling centres are suitable for reuse. Previously some items brought to the site were sent to landfill or taken by a contractor as bric-a-brac and sold at auction.
Volunteer with us
We need you to help at New to you. Joining our volunteer team is a great way to gain new skills, get experience, meet new people, and contribute to a project that changes lives within our local community.
We can offer you:
- practical experience of working in a retail environment and the opportunity to develop visual merchandising and customer service skills and waste management knowledge
- a reference if seeking other employment
- support from a supervisor and other experienced volunteers.
We are looking for people who are:
- able to work independently and as part of a team
- available to work during the week to receive deliveries and prepare for the weekend
- available to work in the shop on Saturdays.
We welcome all volunteers, from young people just starting out in the world of work to those with a lifetime’s wisdom to share.
If you’re interested in helping out and volunteering your time, please send us an email Newtoyou@bcpcouncil.gov.uk.
Where the money goes
This scheme needs to be self-funding, so firstly money raised will cover our costs.
Money over and above running costs will go towards provision of key council services for local people in need and reducing waste disposal costs.