The final week of April will see a major roundabout and route in Poole receive a much-needed upgrade.
Five days of essential resurfacing works to the Mannings Heath roundabout begins at 5am on Monday 25 April.
The roundabout will be closed 24 hours a day for the entire period and is expected to re-open at 6am on Saturday 30 April.
All approaches to the roundabout will be closed to traffic.
- The A3049 Canford Way will be closed in both directions between the Mannings Heath roundabout and Alderney roundabout.
- The A3049 Dorset Way will be closed northbound between the Tower Park roundabout and Mannings Heath roundabout.
- The B3074 Canford Heath Road will be closed from the Sherborne Crescent roundabout to Mannings Heath roundabout.
- Mannings Heath Road will remain open for access to surrounding businesses. However, the approach to and from Mannings Heath roundabout will be closed. Access is via Yarrow Road or Ringwood Road.
- Tower Park remains open throughout these works and can be accessed via Mannings Heath Road, Yarrow Road and Ling Road. All businesses are operating as normal.
Councillor Mike Greene, BCP Council’s Portfolio Holder for Transport and Sustainability, said:
“The Mannings Heath roundabout services some of our busiest roads and deals with a large amount of traffic every day. We have a responsibility to ensure this well-used area remains in a safe condition now and for the future. The essential resurfacing works will better-protect resident’s vehicles and make for smoother and safer journeys for everyone. We appreciate that there will be some disruption to people’s journeys, but the benefits felt five days later will really improve this essential route through Poole and into Bournemouth.”
Road users are advised to allow extra time for journeys during this week, follow the in-place diversions, use alternative routes or explore other travel options, such as buses or cycling.
The resurfacing work is as part of the BCP Council annual highway maintenance programme. The use of grouted asphalt on these crucial repairs will ensure that the roundabout and its approaches continue to function as a robust route for residents, businesses and freight for many years.
BCP Council has taken the view that to minimise impact, works should take place outside of the Easter holiday period and before the Early May Bank Holiday Monday, which are both popular times for visitors and residents to travel.
BCP Council will also take the opportunity to carry out routine maintenance by Neighbourhood Services - such as grass cutting, repairs to safety barriers and litter picking - that would otherwise require separate and extensive traffic management to the area.
A series of diversion routes will be in place to help drivers get to their destinations during this week.
HGV drivers are recommended to use a diversion route that follows B3068 Ringwood Road, B3061 Old Wareham Road, A3049 Dorset Way, Fleetsbridge roundabout, A349 Waterloo Road and B3074 Canford Heath Road.
Local traffic will be able to use Mannings Heath Road to access B3068 Ringwood Road or Yarrow Road to access the southbound side of the A3049 Dorset Way, via the Yarrow Road roundabout slip road. The 7.5 tonne weight limit on Mannings Heath Road will not be enforced at this time.
Morebus will run a limited hourly service during the daytime to Tower park. Full details and a timetable will be accessible on the Morebus website.