Flytipping and flyposting
Flytipping is when rubbish is dumped illegally. We remove flytipping from public land, roads and lay-bys. However, if the rubbish is on private land, it is the land owner's responsibility to remove it. Flytipping also includes items dumped near neighbourhood recycling bins. Fly-posters usually advertise events with posters, stickers or bills that are put up without the permission of the property owner.
You can report flytipping to us by completing our online form.
If you see someone flytipping
Don’t put yourself in danger. But if possible, please make a note of:
- the day, date and time
- what you saw, for example, how many people there were, what they looked like and what they were doing
- what was tipped
- how much was tipped
- if there were any any vehicles involved (make, colour, registration number or any company names on the vehicle).
If you find rubbish that has been dumped illegally
- please don’t touch the rubbish, it may contain dangerous items. Have a look at it, try to work out what has been dumped and how much there is
- take note of its exact location and if it’s in or near water
- don't disturb the site, there may be evidence that could help identify the culprits and lead to their prosecution.
What happens to people who dump rubbish illegally
Flytipping is a serious criminal offence. It carries a fine of up to £20,000. You can even be sent to prison. It is also an offence to allow flytipping if you know it’s going on.
The police have the power to seize vehicles used for flytipping. If you allow your car or vehicle to be used for flytipping, even if you are not driving yourself, you can still be prosecuted.
Managing business waste - your duty of care
Every business in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole must comply with the law about disposing of commercial waste. We work with local businesses to make sure everyone helps keep the BCP area clean and safe.
More information about your duty of care as business can be found on this poster.
You can report flyposting to us by completing our online form.