Skip to content

How to pay or challenge your parking fine, ticket starting with RD

You will need your parking or bus lane fine (also known as a Penalty Charge Notice) to hand to complete this process.

Make representation on receipt of the notice to owner

This can be done online or by post.

Rejection of your representation

If your representation is rejected, we will send you a letter called a notice of rejection. This will tell you how much you need to pay and when you need to pay us by.

If you want to appeal further, you can contact the traffic penalty tribunal (TPT).

If you have received an order of recovery (TE3/9 or PE2/3)

You cannot make a representation online, you must either make payment as per the instructions on the form.

You can complete the form as per the instructions, if one of the four grounds applies and send the completed form to the traffic enforcement centre (not the council).

There is a British Parking Association video on what to do if you receive a penalty charge notice.

Order for recovery

If you don’t pay your penalty charge notice on time, the traffic enforcement centre (TEC) will send an order for recovery. Your parking fine will rise by £9. This debt is registered against you and your vehicle.

If we get your payment by the date on the order of recovery form, we will close the case.

The charge is not registered as a judgment, however it is registered with the county court.

Advice from the traffic enforcement centre

The traffic enforcement centre can give you advice about their procedures but they can’t give you legal advice.

The registration can be challenged by making a witness statement or out of time witness statement if:

  • you didn’t get a penalty charge notice/notice to owner
  • you sent us a representation against the penalty charge notice within 28 days and you haven’t received a rejection notice.
  • you’ve appealed to the traffic penalty tribunal against our decision to reject the representation within 28 days of receiving a rejection notice, but you haven’t had a response
  • the penalty charge has been paid.

If any one of these reasons apply, you should file a witness statement (TE9) with the traffic enforcement centre by the date on the order for recovery form. 

You contact us or the traffic enforcement centre (TEC) to find out if a warrant has been issued. You will need to quote your penalty charge notice number.

If you believe a bailiff has behaved inappropriately, you should send us and the bailiff company a written complaint.

Contact details for enforcement agents



24 hour automated payment line: 0845 671 0049