Upper Gardens Cycle and Walking Improvements
Work on improving walking and cycling through Upper Gardens is underway and will form part of a sustainable transport route, which will eventually link Bournemouth centre to Ferndown.
What is happening:
Work in Upper Gardens is split into two phases:
The first phase of the Upper Gardens improvement works started in May 2021 and include:
- widening and resurfacing the existing cycle/footpath through the gardens where possible. The path will be divided between walkers and cyclists by line markings
- lighting upgrades to improve security
- improved wayfinding and signage.
Sections of the main cycling and walking path on the southern side of the gardens will be temporarily closed while the improvement works are carried out. (See map below)
A diversion will be marked during the works in the gardens. Cyclists and walkers are asked to exercise caution and consideration whilst the work is on-going.
The programme is due to be completed by spring 2022.
The second phase of the Upper Gardens improvement works are due to start late 2022 and will include:
- widening of the existing footway on the eastern side of Prince of Wales Road and Queens Road, creating shared space for pedestrians and cyclists, with new crossing points on both roads
- new crossings on Branksome Wood Road near its junctions with Prince of Wales Road and Queens Road to allow pedestrians and cyclists to cross safely.
The first section of the Major Bournemouth Town Centre to/from Ferndown Sustainable Transport Route.
The Upper Gardens stretch is the southernmost section of a major sustainable travel route that will run from Bournemouth town centre to Ferndown. The route will include new continuous cycle and walking lanes, improvements to bus stops and bus lanes, new technology giving service information updates, new parallel pedestrian and cycling crossings, and walking, cycling and traffic control infrastructure.
Plans for these improvements were informed by responses gathered during public engagement late 2020 and formal consultation which ran 24 February to 31 March this year. A report summarising the results is available here.
For more information on the Bournemouth Town Centre to/from Ferndown route Click Here