Rigler Road to Hinchliffe Road and Blandford Close
Latest News Update
Construction work on Phase Two of the Rigler Road to Hinchliffe Road sustainable travel route is now underway.
A major section of this second phase work is the up-grading of the bridleway which runs along the banks of Holes Bay, behind the Cornerstone Academy. The work will start with vegetation clearance and some remedial work to the Phase One path. After this work will start on the improvements to the bridleway itself.
In order for this work to be carried out, the bridleway needs to be temporarily closed from the end of May until early autumn 2022. During this time a temporary diversion route will be in place. See the map below.
Construction of Phase One of the project, on Rigler Road and through the Holes Bay development area (see below) in Hamworthy was completed in the spring.
Flexible wands on Rigler Road New tarmacked path by Hamworthy Football Club
Phase One and Two of the Rigler Road to Hinchliffe Road sustainable travel project.
What is happening:
This work is the first part of a new walking and cycling route, creating a healthy and eco- friendly way of travelling between Poole town centre and Holton Heath.
Phase one – Rigler Road, through Holes Bay Development Area to Blanford Close: Completed
A new, fully tarmacked, shared use path has been constructed from Rigler Road through the proposed Holes Bay regeneration site. It runs from a new entrance west of Eccles Road, around the Hamworthy Football Club and Recreation Ground, to Blandford Close
- New solar powered low level lighting has been installed along the length of this new route
- Cycle lane ‘separators’ (flexible poles) have been installed along the existing on-road cycle lanes on both sides of Rigler Road from the Eccles Road junction to Twin Sails bridge to protect cyclists from road traffic
- The entrance to the new shared use path on Rigler Road has been widened at the existing refuge island to make crossing into the new path, safer.
Phase two – Hinchliffe Road and Blandford Close: currently underway until Autumn 2022
- The existing bridleway behind Cornerstone Academy linking to Hinchliffe Road will be upgraded with a tarmacked surface and improved drainage
- Improvements to junctions on the route
Plans for these improvements were informed by responses gathered during public engagement late 2020, and formal consultation which ran from 24 February to 31 March this year.
Reports summarising the results are available via the links below: