Ringwood Road, Ferndown
Ringwood Road Cycle, Walking and Bus Improvements
For detailed information on plans for the route please visit Dorset Council’s website.
To watch YouTube videos on this site, you need to accept YouTube and Video cookies and then refresh the page.
What is happening:
A new 3.2km sustainable travel route is being built along Ringwood Road in Ferndown between Longham Mini Roundabouts and Trickett’s Cross Roundabout.
Work on the cycle, walking and bus improvements started in November 2021. They form part of the green travel route linking Ferndown and Wimborne with Poole town centre, which includes the completed cycle and walking route along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West as well the work currently underway on Wimborne Road, Ferndown.
What are we planning to do:
The work along Ringwood Road is broken into three phases:
- Phase 1 - Longham Mini Roundabouts to south of Church Road (completed July 2022)
- Phase 2 - Penny's Hill Junction (Victoria Road/New Road) to Trickett’s Cross – construction start date tbc
- Phase 3 - Church Road to Penny's Hill Junction (Victoria Road/New Road) – construction start date tbc
A section of the new walking and cycle path along Ringwood Road
- The cycleways will be a mixture of segregated footway and cycleway and shared footway/cycleway depending on the available width at the sides of the road. The majority of the new cycleway will be provided on the west side of the road with a small section on the east.
- Bus stops along the length of the project will be upgraded including improved accessibility and real time data screens showing upcoming arrivals.
- The junctions along the road are also going to be upgraded to provide crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Providing a dedicated space for cycling will improve conditions for both cyclists and pedestrians, who will benefit from an enhanced footway width and new surface (in places).
Plans for these improvements were informed by responses gathered during public engagement late 2020 and formal consultation which ran 10 May to 14 June 2021. All responses were analysed and helped shape the final scheme designs. A report summarising the results of consultation is available here and the responses to issues raised is here.