Leigh Road - Wimborne and Colehill
Leigh Road / Wimborne Road West will be closed overnight for 5 nights between 18 October until 22 October 2021. These closures will take place from 8pm in the evening to 6am the following morning.
Find out more
Work now Underway
Work on the first TCF funded project has begun. A new 2.3km cycleway and improved walking facilities are being built along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West in Wimborne and Colehill. The improvements are being made to the road between Brook Road and Canford Bottom Roundabout.
This is the first project under the £100m+ TCF funded programme, which itself will be the largest ever investment in sustainable transport infrastructure in the south east Dorset city region.
Improvements to enable more sustainable travel have now been completed on the first section of Wimborne Road West in Colehill. This includes the building of new cycle lanes, separate pedestrian pavements and a complete re-surfacing of the road.
More information can be found here or attached.
For more details of the work being undertaken, visit Dorset Council’s project information page.
In order to speed up the work and minimise disruption, separate road gangs will be working on 400m sections at different locations along the route. Businesses and residents located directly alongside the works will receive notification letters two weeks before we move to the construction section their property is within. Below is the current sequence of works; dates will be updated once each section gets underway:
- The reduction of the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph along the whole length of Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West is now implemented.
- Section from Canford Bottom Roundabout to Stapehill Crescent, construction of the new cycle way is complete with just carriageway surfacing, signs and lines to be carried out.
- Section between Fernway Close and Summerfield Close, construction of this section is now complete subject to carriageway surfacing, signing and lining.
- Brook Road Junction area – construction of this section is complete with the new signals now commissioned abd working.
- Summerfield close to Park Farm Cottages - now complete subject to carriageway surfacing, signing and lining.
- Section between Stapehill Crescent and opposite Fernway Close, construction has commenced and is due to run until early August. During this work, the road will be open, but a temporary traffic-light controlled contraflow will be in place.
- Section between Hayes Lane and the new Quaterjack Park development - construction has commenced and is due to run until early August. Again, during this work, the road will be open, but a temporary traffic-light controlled contraflow will be in place.
- Henbest Close to Old Ham Lane
- Opposite Quaterjack Park Development to Bytheway Field
- Old Ham Lane to Fernway Close
- Bytheway Field to Northleigh Lane
- Opposite Fernway Close to Hayes Lane
- Park Farm Cottage to opposite Bytheway Field
Leigh Road has a number of new housing developments being built along its length, so the new project gives the opportunity to improve safety for residents, whilst improving facilities for all road users.
What we are planning to do
We plan to transform the former trunk road into a safer residential road with:
- a reduced vehicle speed limit
- new dedicated cycle lanes
- improved bus access
- better pavements
- New pedestrian and cycling crossings.
When are we planning to do it
Work on the ground is now underway and is due to be completed towards the end of 2021. It will be delivered by Dorset Council and will be rolled out in 400 metre sections to minimise disruption to the public.
Visit Dorset Council's Leigh Road project information page for further information about the programme of improvements along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West.