Merley, Poole to/from Christchurch
A series of walking, cycling and bus improvements are planned along Castle Lane West, including at Northbourne Roundabout, which will form part of a sustainable travel route running between Merley, Poole to/from Christchurch.
Along with the recently completed Whitelegg Way section of the route, these improvements will mean that there is more than 2.5km of new, safer cycling facilities in the area that will connect to the existing cycle provision along Castle Lane West.
About the plans
From spring 2023 works are planned to be underway on the following improvements:
- Introducing new two-way protected space for cyclists at the eastern end of Wimborne Road near Northbourne Roundabout
- Carriageway resurfacing between Ferncroft Road and Northbourne Roundabout
- Dedicated space for pedestrians and cyclists around Northbourne Roundabout and new crossings installed
- A range of walking and cycling improvements around Redhill Roundabout, along Castle Lane West and around Broadway Roundabout
The proposals listed below are subject to a separate legal process and a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) was advertised and consulted on in winter 2022. This TRO was recommended for approval in March 2023.
- The introduction of the cycle track will close off vehicular access point leading to Ensbury Garage and surrounding properties to the south west of Northbourne Roundabout. The Wimborne Road service road will be converted to two-way to maintain access to these properties
- Introducing double yellow lines on some sections of Castle Lane West
We are continuing to review feedback for the proposals elsewhere in Kinson and will share the next steps shortly.
More details of the scheme design are on the following map:
These sustainable travel improvements also link to:
Site investigation works in early November
From mid-November 2022 to the end of February 2023, we will be carrying out site investigation works at Broadway Roundabout, Castle Lane West and in the Northbourne area to help inform the final design plans. Temporary traffic lights will be required in some locations to allow us to safely carry out the works. They will operate outside of rush hour to minimise traffic disruption and will be removed fully during the Christmas period (9 December 2022 to 3 January 2023). Advance notice road signs detailing the exact dates of the works will be installed one week beforehand.
Traffic delays are expected. Please allow extra time for your journeys.
To stay up to date with the latest information about these works please sign up to our newsletter and follow us on social media Facebook, Twitter. If you have any questions you can email the Transforming Travel team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public consultation about the proposals at Northbourne Roundabout, Redhill Roundabout and along Castle Lane West including Broadway Roundabout was undertaken in February – June 2021. A public information event was held in Bournemouth on 9 November 2022. For the consultation, the proposals were split into three sub-sections:
In addition, having analysed the responses, we have published a responses to issues raised document for each section: