Iford roundabout - Fountain roundabout
Merley, Poole to/from Christchurch
This section is currently on hold until further funding has been secured, following a national review by the Department for Transport of the Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) programme.
Rising construction, labour and fuel costs, growing inflation and changes to national design standards for cycling infrastructure mean south east Dorset’s original TCF budget, awarded pre-pandemic in March 2020, is no longer sufficient to build the entire network of cycle, walking and bus improvements planned across the region.
Priority has been given to TCF schemes that link into existing sustainable travel infrastructure, providing an immediate interim level of connectivity and more continuous travel routes.
Click here to read the full announcement
The proposals consulted on in the 2021 public consultation included:
- A new two-way protected cycle track on the north side of the A35 between Bridle Crescent and the existing crossing point at the south-western end of Iford Bridge
- A new two-way protected cycle track on the south side of the A35 between the existing crossing point at the south-western end of Iford Bridge and Bailey Roundabout, bypassing Jumpers Roundabout. On-street parking on Barrack Road would be relocated to adjoining roads to create space for the cycle track
- More priority for cyclists and pedestrians at the junctions of Barrack Road and adjoining roads
- New planting installed at the junction of Stourvale Avenue and The Grove, preventing access for vehicles. Access for cyclists and pedestrians would not be affected
- New toucan crossing points to be installed along route
- Up to eighteen bus stop locations to be upgraded between Cooper Dean Roundabout and Fountain Roundabout, which could include accessibility improvements, new shelters and real-time information
- Road layout revised at Bailey Roundabout, allowing east-bound traffic to bypass the roundabout, and a new parallel crossing installed on Bailey Drive
- The existing shared use path on the south side of Barrack Road would be improved between Bailey Roundabout and Fountain Roundabout, connecting into facilities at the Stour Road junction
View the proposed design plan here.
Public consultation on the proposals was undertaken in spring 2021 and a report summarising the results is available here.