Merley, Poole to Christchurch
We will be introducing improvements and new facilities for bus users, pedestrians and cyclists along this route, between Merley and Fountain roundabout in Christchurch, to make journeys quicker and easier across the region.
Linking local destinations
As well as connecting residential and major employment areas at either end of the route, the improvements will also enhance access to a number of other key local destinations nearby, including:
- Canford Park arena
- Local shops and other businesses in Kinson
- Castle Point shopping centre• Various schools
- Royal Bournemouth Hospital• Wessex Fields business park
- Christchurch train station
The route will also join up with the Poole town centre to/ from Ferndown and Wimborne at Bear Cross roundabout, the Bournemouth town centre to/from Ferndown route at Redhill roundabout, and Bournemouth railway station to/from Jumpers Common, Christchurch route at Wessex Fields to further improve accessibility across the area.
About the improvements
A range of improvements are being considered along the route, including:
- Safe, dedicated space for cycling which will be separated from the main carriageway and footway
- Shared use paths for pedestrians and cyclists, where appropriate
- Alternative off-road quiet routes for cyclists avoiding main roads and busy junctions
- New pedestrian crossings and wider footways
- Junction improvements to give pedestrians and cyclists priority at certain locations
- Changes to highway infrastructure to help improve bus journey times
- New shelters at bus stops and real-time service information to enhance the customer experience for bus passengers
- Introduction of smart ticketing via a new app to enable quicker and easier interchange between bus operators and other transport modes
- Speed limit reductions making the roads safer for all
We’re working with key local stakeholders, including elected representatives, community groups and businesses, to identify the most appropriate solutions along the route.
We’ll be publishing more details on specific proposals as part of our public consultation early next year. You will be able to have your say on the plans at that point by responding to the consultation.ontent