Leigh Road - Wimborne and Colehill
Work on the first TCF funded project has begun. A new 2.3km cycleway and improved walking facilities is being built along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West in Wimborne and Colehill. The improvements are being made to the road between Brook Road and Canford Bottom Roundabout.
This is the first project under the £100m+ TCF funded programme, which itself will be the largest ever investment in sustainable transport infrastructure in the south east Dorset city region.
For more details of the work being undertaken, visit Dorset Council’s project information page.
Work is now underway on the first two sections of this project:
- 400m section from Canford Bottom Roundabout to Stapehill Crescent, which is scheduled to take place from 18 January to end of February. During this work, the road will be open, but a temporary traffic-light controlled contraflow will be in place
- 400m section between Fernway Crescent and Summerfield Close, which will take place from 18 January to end of February. Again a contraflow will be in place with traffic flow controlled by Stop/Go boards
- A further element of the work taking place is the reduction of the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph along the whole length of Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West, which will be in force from 18 January
Leigh Road has a number of new housing developments being built along its length, so the new project gives the opportunity to improve safety for residents, whilst improving facilities for all road users.
What we are planning to do
We plan to transform the former trunk road into a safer residential road with:
- a reduced vehicle speed limit
- new dedicated cycle lanes
- improved bus access
- better pavements for walkers.
When are we planning to do it
Work on the ground is now underway and is due to be completed towards the end of 2021. It will be delivered by Dorset Council and will be rolled out in 400 metre sections to minimise disruption to the public.
Visit Dorset Council's Leigh Road project information page for further information about the programme of improvements along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West.