Leigh Road - Wimborne and Colehill
Latest News - Overnight Closures of Leigh Road for 5 nights at the end of April 2021
Leigh Road, Wimborne will be closed overnight around the junction with Brook Road from the evening of 26th April to the morning of 1st May 2021. The overnight closures will be from 8pm in the evening until 6am the following morning. During the night-time closures a diversion using the A31 Wimborne Bypass will be in place.
The closures are part of the improvement works currently underway on Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West in Wimborne and Colehill. It is necessary for the safe installation of the traffic control systems on the new parallel crossing and layout at the Brook Road Junction.
During the night-time closures a diversion using the A31 Wimborne Bypass will be in place.and local access may be temporarily restricted. Any residents needing special consideration for deliveries or mobility should contact the dedicated TCF Dorset Direct hotline on 01305 221025 before the closures begins.
Work now Underway
Work on the first TCF funded project has begun. A new 2.3km cycleway and improved walking facilities are being built along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West in Wimborne and Colehill. The improvements are being made to the road between Brook Road and Canford Bottom Roundabout.
This is the first project under the £100m+ TCF funded programme, which itself will be the largest ever investment in sustainable transport infrastructure in the south east Dorset city region.
For more details of the work being undertaken, visit Dorset Council’s project information page.
In order to speed up the work and minimise disruption, separate road gangs will be working on 400m sections at different locations along the route. Businesses and residents located directly alongside the works will receive notification letters two weeks before we move to the construction section their property is within. Below is the current sequence of works; dates will be updated once each section gets underway:
- Canford Bottom Roundabout to Stapehill Crescent east. (Largely Complete – final surfacing, signage and white lining outstanding).
- Fernway Crescent and Summerfield Close (Largely Complete – final surfacing, signage and white lining outstanding).
- Parmiter Road to West of Brook Road Junction (under construction). Planned to Complete mid-May.
- Stapehill Crescent east to Stapehill Cresent west (under construction). Planned to Complete early-May.
- Summer Field Close to Park Farm Cottages (under construction). Planned to Complete early-May
- Northleigh Lane to West of Brook Road Junction
- Stapehill Crescent to opposite Fernway Close
- Hayes Lane to opposite Quaterjack Park Development
- Henbest Close to Old Ham Lane
- Opposite Quaterjack Park Development to Bytheway Field
- Old Ham Lane to Fernway Close
- Bytheway Field to Northleigh Lane
- Opposite Fernway Close to Hayes Lane
- Park Farm Cottage to opposite Bytheway Field
Leigh Road has a number of new housing developments being built along its length, so the new project gives the opportunity to improve safety for residents, whilst improving facilities for all road users.
What we are planning to do
We plan to transform the former trunk road into a safer residential road with:
- a reduced vehicle speed limit
- new dedicated cycle lanes
- improved bus access
- better pavements
- New pedestrian and cycling crossings.
When are we planning to do it
Work on the ground is now underway and is due to be completed towards the end of 2021. It will be delivered by Dorset Council and will be rolled out in 400 metre sections to minimise disruption to the public.
Visit Dorset Council's Leigh Road project information page for further information about the programme of improvements along Leigh Road and Wimborne Road West.