Upper Gardens cycle and walking improvements
Work on improving walking and cycling through Upper Gardens is underway and forms part of the 14km sustainable travel route linking Bournemouth centre to Ferndown.
What is happening:
Work in Upper Gardens is split into two phases:
Phase 1: complete
The first phase of the Upper Gardens improvement works has finished. It included:
- widening and resurfacing the existing cycle/footpath through the gardens from the Square, along the south-west side of Upper Gardens to the entrance on Prince of Wales Road
- better night-time lighting to improve security
- improved wayfinding and signage.
Watch this video to see the improvements:
To watch YouTube videos on this site, you need to accept YouTube and Video cookies and then refresh the page.
The second phase of the Upper Gardens improvement works are due to start late 2022 and will include:
- widening of the existing footway on the eastern side of Prince of Wales Road and Queens Road, creating shared space for pedestrians and cyclists, with new crossing points on both roads
- new crossings on Branksome Wood Road near its junctions with Prince of Wales Road and Queens Road to allow pedestrians and cyclists to cross safely.
Plans for these improvements were informed by responses gathered during public engagement late 2020 and formal consultation which ran 24 February to 31 March 2021. A report summarising the results is available here.
View design plans here