Summer Ready - Active Travel
Get outside - summer's here!
Summer has arrived, and with it comes a wealth of outdoor activities to make the most of the (hopefully - this is Britain!) glorious weather.
We've got Blue Flag beaches at our fingertips, so why not ditch the car keys and beat the traffic by riding your bike, scooting, wheeling or walking? It's free (or cheaper than parking), great exercise, and you'll be making a difference to the environment. Alternatively, riding the bus helps reduce local congestion, and you won't have to circle the car parks numerous times for a space. Win!
Follow our tips to get the best out of active travel in summer along the Coast with the Most.
- Research your chosen activities and destinations in advance, considering factors such as distance, difficulty level, and nearby facilities. Allow ample time for rest, breaks and taking in the scenery along the way.
- If you're planning on taking your bike out, don't forget to take your lock, and look up where you can park your bike once you've arrived. Keep a note of your bike's frame number and consider getting it tagged at one of the police's local free tagging events. These are often advertised on their facebook pages.
- Give your bike the once over - make sure you have good tread on your tyres, and the brakes are working well. BCP Council runs bike maintenance courses if you'd like to learn more about what to check and how.
- If you don't have a bike or e-scooter, check out the Beryl app to see where your nearest bays are, or visit our cycle hire page for alternatives.
Prepare for the weather
- Wear comfortable and breathable clothing suitable for outdoor activities. Opt for lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics that allow for easy movement and help regulate body temperature.
- Don't forget to wear comfortable shoes with good support, especially if you plan on walking, cycling, or participating in watersports.
- Stock up on the factor 50. Apply sun cream regularly and wear a hat.
- Stay hydrated. Carry a reusable water bottle with you and drink plenty throughout the day. You can refill these at 150 places along BCP's seafront this summer.
Be aware of restrictions