LGBTQ+ Network Group
The LGBTQ+ network group supports council employees who identify as LGBTQ+ or who are allies of LGBTQ+ people.
The aim of the group is:
- to provide a networking mechanism for LGBTQ+ staff to get to know each other, meet and offer support when needed
- to be part of the development of a more inclusive BCP Council
- to ensure joined up working with the other BCP Council Colleague Network Groups around ensuring a greater focus on equality and diversity within BCP Council
- to raise awareness of LGBTQ+ issues and identify ‘quick wins’ and ‘slower burns’ to address these issues
The LGBTQ+ Colleague Network Group meets via Teams every 6 weeks to progress the above aims.
Some recent examples of the work of the group have been involved with include:
- the production of BCP Pride rainbow lanyards which have been distributed across the council
- taking part in Bournemouth Pride in Summer 2021
- LGBTQ+ staff sharing their stories as part of LGBTQ+ History Month in February 2022
- encouraging Senior Managers and Leaders to wear the Pride Lanyards and for staff to add their preferred pronouns to their e-mail signatures.
LGBTQ+ History Month
This February, BCP Council staff have celebrated LGBTQ+ History Month. As part of this, council employee Steve Cox-O'Rourke from our LGBTQ+ network shared his story to raise awareness of the diversity and open, honest conversations taking place in our council. Read Steve's blog here.