Discretionary grant scheme for small business support
The application window is now closed.
Who can apply
You can apply for funding if your local small business:
- was trading on 11 March 2020
- has not been eligible for grant support so far (or has not already applied for the Discretionary Grant)
- can demonstrate a significant fall in income because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- has ongoing fixed property-related costs
occupy property or part of a property with a rateable value or annual rent / mortgage payments below £51,000 (or where the rateable value is below £100,000 for businesses which are subject to closure and are still prevented from trading by regulation after 25 July 2020)
How we decide who receives funding
Priority will be given to businesses based on local needs and those identified by government.
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces
- Regular market traders
- Bed and breakfast premises which pay council tax instead of business rates
- Charities in receipt of Charitable Rate Relief, who otherwise would have received Small Business Rate Relief
- Tourism & hospitality sector – specifically small event management / catering firms and businesses with licences to trade on pontoon or similar
- Nurseries e.g. day nurseries, nursery schools
- Financial sector – small mortgage broker businesses
- Local care and health practitioners.
If you applied for the Discretionary Grant in the first application window (29 May to 15 June) and have been notified that you are not entitled, you do not need to reapply. We'll automatically review that decision in line with the adjusted scheme and will let you know the outcome.
Deadline for applications
The application window closed on Sunday 2 August.
The value of grants awarded will vary depending on business circumstances up to £10,000. In exceptional circumstances, taking into account local priorities and impact on residents of the area we may award grants up to £25,000.
Once applications are received we'll review them carefully to determine the allocation of available funding and final grant values, based on the number of applications received.
Payments will be made as soon as possible after this period of analysis and assessment.
The Discretionary Grant Scheme is an online only process. If you have any enquiries in relation to an application please contact us via email:
Full details of the two phases of the scheme can be found in the below documents: