Waste and recycling collection services
Last updated Friday 27 March 2020
Changes to waste and recycling collections – Bournemouth and Poole
We have made the difficult decision to suspend some of our waste collection services. We are continually monitoring the availability of our workforce and are prioritising services and making changes where needed.
- Refuse and recycling - rounds are running as normal in Bournemouth and Poole.
- Household waste recycling centres - Millhams in Bournemouth, Wilverley Road in Christchurch and Nuffield in Poole have now closed until further notice.
- Recycling banks - all of our recycling banks across Bournemouth and Poole are closed.
- Commercial Weighbridges - Nuffield and Millhams were both closed to traders with effect from 24 March.
- new to you - our Poole-based reclaimed items shop will be closed until further notice.
- Litter/dog waste bins - we will still be endeavouring to empty the waste bins but on a reduced frequency basis.
- Bulky household waste collection service - has now stopped in Bournemouth and Poole and won't be starting in Christchurch on 1 April until further notice. (Customers with bookings have been advised)
- Skip hire - all domestic jobs booked have been completed, no more bookings were being taken with effect from 24 March.
- Bin deliveries in Poole - urgent deliveries are still taking place.
Waste guidance for people with coronavirus symptoms
If you are showing symptoms of coronavirus - a new, continuous cough and/or high temperature - you need to take extra precautions with your waste to protect others:
- Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths should be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags.
- These bags should be placed into a second bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste in the room in which you are self-isolating.
- Do not put these bags into your wheelie bin for at least 72 hours.
People without wheelie bins who use authorised bags for their rubbish should place personal waste in a securely tied disposable rubbish bag (like a black bin bag/plastic bag) before placing in your sack.
Garden waste collections in Bournemouth and Poole are suspended from Monday 23 March until further notice. This is to allow us to prioritise rubbish, food waste and recycling collections. If you have subscribed to garden waste collections and live in Bournemouth or Poole, please do not report the bin as being missed, bring your uncollected bin in from the kerbside and do not put it out again until advised.
In the meantime, please consider home composting as much of your garden waste as possible.
We recognise that garden waste is a paid service and of course, we don’t expect our customers to lose out financially because of this disruption. Any missed collections will be reflected in the cost of next year’s service. Further details on this will follow once the service resumes.
New subscriptions to the service are also suspended whilst we get through this challenging period.
Christchurch residents with garden waste collections should refer to Dorset Waste Partnership who currently provide your waste and recycling services until 31 March.
Why are these changes necessary?
We are making these changes now to make sure that we can prioritise services and provide them for as long as we possibly can. Changes allow us to deal with any staff absences due to sickness and self-isolation issues.
Our priority is to try to maintain essential services throughout the difficult weeks and months ahead and to do what we can to support the health and wellbeing of all our staff who are working hard to keep delivering these core services and protect residents.