Changes to Library services
To enable us to reopen our libraries safely we have had to revise the services available.
Social distancing safety measures have been put in place and we can safely offer several services to you.
- browse, borrow and return books and DVDs. We quarantine items for 72 hours on return
- use the Order & Collect service – we select, you collect. Tell us your favourite authors and topics. Use our Order & Collect form or phone an open BCP library
- borrow a book bundle – preselected to take home
- use a PC for a 45-minute session. Booked by phone one day in advance or on the door. We will clean the PCs between each use
- book a study table with free wi-fi at Bournemouth Library and Poole Library. Phone the libraries or email BCPLibraries@bcpcouncil.gov.uk
- book a microfilm reader/printer and access to the local heritage research collection at Bournemouth Library.
You will not yet be able to:
- come to an event or group at the library
- use study space (except at Bournemouth Library and Poole Library with bookable study tables)
- hire a meeting room
- read newspapers and magazines in the library
- get a drink from a vending machine
Please do not visit the library if you have Covid19 symptoms. Please use the hand sanitiser provided throughout the library and take care to keep a safe distance from other visitors and staff. Following Government announcement, from 8 August all library visitors must wear face coverings.
NHS Test & Trace
Following Government guidance, BCP libraries are helping NHS Test & Trace by securely holding a temporary record of visitors for 21 days. This scheme is voluntary. If you agree to participate, we will ask for your name, contact phone number, date and duration of visit. More information is available on the GOV.UK website.
Online services available across the BCP Council area
If you live in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole we are able to offer free:
- Information resources
- Access to Ancestry
- e-audio books
Visit librarieswest.org.uk and Bournemouth's Cyberlibrary for access.
While the libraries are closed, you can access e-books, e-audio books & e-magazines, even if you're not currently a library member.
Request temporary membership
- Fill in your details
- Select a 4 digit PIN number,
- Click on Register.
- You will then get a temporary membership number.
- Make a note of this number. Then go back to the library webpages and use this number and your PIN to register.
If you live in Bournemouth, just select any Poole library from the drop down list of locations.
Library items on loan have been renewed until September. You will not be charged for overdue items whilst the libraries are closed
Home Library Service
Our Home Library Service is open again for existing members and is accepting new clients.
Email email@example.com or phone 01202 547879.
All volunteers and library staff follow safety guidance for the picking, packing and delivery of books. Returned books will be cleaned and quarantined in line with public health guidelines to ensure the safety of both residents and colleagues.
While libraries are closed, library members can access Ancestry Online from home. To do this, go to the Libraries West homepage and login with your library card. The Ancestry link will then appear, and you can search through thousands of records at home.