All public car parks are now open.
How to pay for parking
Please use your mobile phone to pay for parking where possible, by calling or using an app. This is to avoid queues and touching the pay machines.
If you have to pay using cash or card, please follow social distancing rules and clean your hands before and after using the pay machines.
Charges for people from outside of the area
Some residents have asked whether we can charge more as a deterrent to visitors from outside of the area. All parking charges are prescribed in our Traffic Regulation Orders and cannot be varied by where the driver lives.
The only way this could be achieved is through a permit or season ticket scheme for individual car parks, but would involve a lengthy consultation and development process.
Social distancing in our car parks
Please park legally and safely, with consideration for others.
To ensure social distancing measures are in place and to minimise disruption on the roads around our car parks, we have directed additional trained staff to assist at the busiest car parks.
Face coverings must be worn in our multi-storey car parks, including in stairwells and at pay points.
All car park users must continue to follow social distancing rules:
- wait for people to enter or leave nearby vehicles before you enter or leave yours
- keep 2 metres away from others when waiting to pay
- keep 2 metres away from others when walking in the car park, including in stairways
- be extra careful driving in the car park, as people walking around will be following social distancing rules.
- keep the highway safe for everyone, especially our NHS, emergency services and other key workers.
Please be respectful to our officers carrying out these critical duties.