Food delivery and takeaway guidance

Guidance for businesses switching to providing a food delivery / takeaway service. 

If you own a pub that serves food or a restaurant in England, you will be able to operate a hot food takeaway to serve people staying at home, without going through the usual planning process.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have produced a document that will provides full guidance on diversifying your food business in the wake of COVID-19.

CIEH delivery / takeaway guidance

Additional information can be found below:


If you are not already registered as a food business, please complete a registration form. You will need to be able to demonstrate that you can operate your business safely before you start trading

Safe shopping guidance

The CIEH have also produced guidance on safe shopping. This is relevant both to businesses and to members of the public.

CIEH safe shopping guidance     

Alcohol off sales and delivery advice

If you already have a premises licence that allows for off sales you will be able to undertake alcohol deliveries under the existing licence. You must ensure that you comply with the existing conditions on your premises licence and continue to undertake the necessary checks to ensure that deliveries comply with underage policies.

Minor Variation

You can apply for a minor variation if you already have the sale of alcohol as a licensable activity on your premises licence and you are considering delivering alcohol directly to customers. Provided that you only want to provide alcohol as off sales from 7am to 11pm you can apply for this as a minor variation. The Licensing Authority will consider whether your application and any conditions included will impact adversely on the licensing objectives. We may consult any of the relevant responsible authorities as appropriate.

Full Variation

If you already have the sale of alcohol as a licensable activity on your premises licence and want to now apply for off sales from 11pm to 7am this will require a full variation of your licence.

New Application

If you do not have a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 and you want to sell alcohol to the public you will need to make an application for a premises licence.

Age verification for the sale of alcohol

We would strongly advise anyone seeking to add off sales to their premises licence to consider and provide conditions in the operating schedule of either a minor or full variation application that detail how you will ensure that you do not sell or deliver alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 or anyone who is considered to already be intoxicated.

The conditions that we encourage any applicant to consider are to:

  • implement the Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 proof of age scheme at the premises where the only acceptable forms of identification are recognised photographic identification cards, such as a driving licence, passport or proof of age card with the PASS Hologram.
  • keep a record detailing all refused sales of alcohol. The record should include the date and time of the refused sale and the name of the member of staff who refused the sale. The record shall be available for inspection at the premises, by the police or an authorised officer of BCP Council at all times whilst the premises is open.
  • ensure deliveries will only be provided by registered delivery drivers who have received training regarding underage sales. No alcohol deliveries will be left with minors or any recipient who the delivery driver considers to already be intoxicated.
  • ensure the delivery driver to check, on delivery of any alcohol that the recipient’s payment card is the same payment card that was used to pay for the alcohol.

All applications should be emailed to