Posted on Tuesday 6 October 2020
Councillor Drew Mellor, Leader of BCP Council, today (Tuesday 6 October) announced a ‘Cabinet+’ approach to decision-making and policy development for the council.
Alongside his council leader role, Cllr Mellor will hold responsibility for Finance and Transformation, and has appointed nine councillors to the following cabinet portfolios:
- Cllr Philip Broadhead – Deputy leader, Regeneration, Economy and Strategic Planning
- Cllr Mohan Iyengar – Tourism, Leisure and Culture
- Cllr May Haines – Community Safety
- Cllr Mark Anderson – Environment, Cleansing and Waste
- Cllr Mike White – Children and Young People
- Cllr Karen Rampton – Adults
- Cllr Mike Greene – Transport and Sustainability
- Cllr Bob Lawton – Homes
- Cllr Nicola Greene – Covid resilience, schools and skills
Councillor Mellor said,
“I am delighted to have appointed a hugely experienced, dedicated and skilled team to the cabinet, and we look forward to getting down to business”. He continued, “In addition to my cabinet team, I am passionate about more widespread member involvement that utilises the skills of the wider councillor base. Therefore I am also very pleased to announce that cabinet will be supported by lead members to champion work in priority areas. These member champion roles are part of my stated commitment to lead the council in an inclusive way with members engaged and involved and our residents' interests very firmly at the heart of our decision-making."
Whilst I am announcing three today, I expect the number of lead members to grow as priority work areas emerge. I will appoint the right member for each champion role, regardless of party affiliation. These members will attend cabinet as non-voting members, will work with the relevant portfolio holder, and lead their agendas across the council”.
Lead Member roles announced today are:
- Cllr Hazel Allen – Homelessness
- Cllr Jane Kelly – Engagement
- Cllr Bobbie Dove – Equalities
Appointing lead members contributes positively to the council’s promise to be a modern, accessible and accountable council, committed to effective community leadership.