Skip to content

Qualifying for the scheme

You qualify for the scheme if you live in the BH postcode area and receive either:  

  • tax credits*  
  • Housing Benefit or Council Tax support  
  • income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Support or Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit. 

*Working Tax Credit combined with Child Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit only or Working Tax Credit combined with a disability element. Household gross annual income from your current award letter should be £17,005 or less. Use your most recent award letter. If it’s for the current financial year, your income will be estimated and will be accepted. 

You can also apply if you’re a social services cardholder, on a modern apprenticeship, aged 16 and over in full-time further or higher education or in receipt of: 

  • contribution-based Job Seekers Allowance 
  • NHS HC2 certificate  
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Incapacity Benefit - higher or long-term rate 
  • Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Industrial Injuries
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • War Disablement Pension. 

Family memberships 

You can apply for family membership if you receive tax credits (see notes above), housing or Council Tax support, Income Support or Guarantee Pension Credit, Universal Credit or income-based Job Seekers Allowance.  

The membership can include a spouse or partner, plus child dependants aged 19 and under who live with you and who are in mainstream or further education, studying either A-levels or NVQs level 3. 

If you want to add a child under 3, their name and date of birth should appear on the application. Children under 3 will be issued with their own card if you apply online, but not if you apply at an enrolment centre.  

Family membership is only available when all family members apply at the same time and the named benefit claimant must be present when you enrol. 

If you’ve been issued with a letter confirming your child is eligible for free school meals, this will be accepted as proof of eligibility for a family membership. 


If you’re a carer you can apply for a card if you receive Carer’s Allowance and have had an assessment by social services, following which you’ve been issued with a referral letter. 

Helper entitlement 

If you’re receiving a disability benefit and you need help accessing activities, you can be accompanied by a helper. When applying for your membership, please ensure that you ask about helper entitlement, or tick the appropriate box if you’re applying online.  

Looked after children 

All looked after children must be resident within a BH postcode area. Foster families registered with us can also apply and a referral letter can be obtained from social services.  

Group membership 

This is available to residential homes, day centres and special schools whose service users need support to take part in activities.  

Group membership enables up to 20 people (10 at The Lighthouse), including an appropriate number of staff, to visit a leisure centre, for example, and receive a discount on the standard charge per person. 

Service users must live within the BH postcode area and be in receipt of one of the benefits listed above. 

To apply for group membership, complete the online application form