Winton Recreation Ground
The land was given to us by the Earl of Malmesbury in 1904, on the understanding that we’d make it a public recreation ground.
The official opening took place in 1906 and on 27 September the Bournemouth Graphic reported:
"The Earl and Countess of Malmesbury opened the new Recreation Ground at Winton, consisting of 14 acres and was generously presented by the Earl of Malmesbury. The bowling green at one corner has already been opened, there has now been laid out a cricket ground surrounding which is a very good racing track for sports, and close by is a football ground, a children’s play area is to follow."
To celebrate the opening of the new bowling green in 1935, club members played a special match against a council team.
During the World War 2 the site was put to other uses which included air raid shelters, warden posts and temporary cleaning stations.
In 1956 the tennis courts were moved to their current location. In 1980 the play scheme building was added for pre-school children.
There was extensive damage to the site following the big storms in 1987 and 1990, after which major replanting work was required. Today the site is a popular community area for sports, recreation and events.