This area was originally called Poors Common because the soils were of such poor quality. It formed part of an expanse of heathland that stretched from Dorchester to the New Forest.
From 1802 to 1902, Queens Park was known as Plot 60 and formed part of the Christchurch Inclosure Act of 1802 which privatised much of Poors Common, making it ripe for development.
Queens Park was named in 1902 after the Danish wife of Edward, Prince of Wales. Officially, the Prince only visited Bournemouth twice, but unofficially was a frequent visitor to the area to see his mistress, Lillie Langtry.
The Queen's Park Improvement and Protection Society has produced a detailed history of the park.