Meyrick Park was originally part of a huge area of heathland registered in the Domesday Book of 1086. The area has had various names over the centuries including Poors Common, Turbary Common and Malmesbury Plantation.
The Christchurch Inclosure Act of 1802 allowed the land to be sold to Sir George Ivison Tapps who created a plantation of scots and maritime pine. It remained common land to allow local people to graze sheep and cattle, collect honey from hives and dig turf for fuel. The common access continues to this day.
The park has remained in the same family, although their name changed to Meyrick in 1876 to protect an inheritance.
In 1894 it became the first municipal park in the town, with a bowling green, playing fields and an 18-hole golf course. This was the first municipally owned golf links in the country.