We want everyone to enjoy our beaches and seafront.
Beaches with easier access and close parking are:
- Alum Chine, Bournemouth
- Boscombe, Bournemouth
- Gundimore, Christchurch
- Avon, Christchurch
- Friars Cliff, Christchurch
- Sandbanks, Poole
- Shore Road, Poole
- Branksome Chine, Poole.
Beach accessible wheelchairs
For easier access onto the sand, beach-going wheelchairs fitted with balloon tyres are available on loan from Bournemouth, Boscombe, Branksome Chine and Sandbanks beach offices. With one available from each office between 9:30am to 4:30pm, from May to September, these are loaned on a first come, first served basis in return for a refundable £50 cash deposit.
Mobi-mats are available from Sandbanks and Boscombe beach to help wheelchair users move easily from the promenade onto the sand and closer to the sea. These are in place between May and September.
Accessible beach huts
We have three purpose designed fully disabled accessible beach huts available for hire at Boscombe beach. These have enough space for four wheelchair users, accessible parking spaces (chargeable) and toilet facilities close by.
purpose designed fully disabled accessible beach huts
Each hut has:
- four directors’ chairs
- a table
- a split-level work surface
- a gas stove
- lockable cupboards
- a wall that can be taken down to connect two huts for a large group hire.
And access to:
- an electric scooter charging point
- parking bays
- a Changing Places toilet and shower.
For more information, or to book an accessible beach hut call 01202 123 800.
Cars on the promenade
There is parking on the Undercliff Drive promenade car park. Access is via Sea Road and Boscombe Pier - follow signs to Boscombe beach.
Disabled Tax Exempt Vehicles must pay car park charges unless they have a valid Disabled Tax Exempt Permit issued by BCP Council, email email@example.com for more information and to apply.
For a quick and easy way to get to the beach from the cliff top, use one of our fully accessible cliff lifts. Carers and children under 5 travel for free.
Bournemouth’s cliff lifts run daily from April to October, subject to weather conditions.
Our wheelchair-friendly land trains can take you along the bay between Bournemouth Pier and Boscombe Pier.
Trains run daily from April to October and during school holidays and at weekends outside of this time (subject to weather).
Accessible toilets and Changing Places
The toilets are accessible RADAR toilets which need a key to access. You can purchase one from the Bournemouth Tourist Information Centre located in Bournemouth Pier Approach or Poole Tourist Information Centre, based in Poole Museum on Poole Quay.
Seafront unisex wheelchair-accessible toilets with RADAR key access
- Alum Chine, next to the children’s playpark
- Chineside, next to Durley Chine Beach Office, opposite the Harvester pub
- Bournemouth West, between Happyland Amusements and West Beach restaurant
- Bournemouth Pier, on the east side of the building near the entrance to Bournemouth Pier
- Bournemouth East, next to Harry Ramsden’s Fish & Chip shop
- The Prom Diner, 200 metres west of Boscombe Pier
- Boscombe Overstrand, next to Urban Reef restaurant
- Portman Ravine, 400 metres east of Bournemouth Beach Lodges
- Fisherman’s Walk, 100m to the west of Fisherman’s Walk Cliff Lift and zig zag
- Gordon’s Steps, 100m to the west of Gordon's zig zag
- Southbourne, near Bistro on the Beach
- Avon, on the promenade, next to the Noisy Lobster Café
- Friars Cliff, on the promenade, at the side of Beach Hut Cafe - available when cafe is open
- Sandbanks car park, near the beach office
- Shore Road, wooden clad block next to Jazz Café.
- Flag Head Chine, near the seaside garden and seating area
- Branksome Chine car park, next to the beach shop
- Branksome Dene, up the steps next to the kiosk on the promenade, at the back of Branksome Dene Room
- Hamworthy Park.
Accessible electric beach barbecues
Wheelchair accessible beach barbecue hot plates are available on the seafront. They are free to use between Easter and the end of October on a first come, first come first served basis between 10am to 10pm. The bench design is 860mm high for ease of access to the cooktop by seated adults.