Skip to content

Housing for homeless under-18s

If your parents ask you to leave home, or you feel you’re in danger, speak to our Children’s Social Care team.

Do not leave home because of an argument or because you want more independence. Unless you’re in a dangerous situation, we will not be able to help you if you make yourself homeless. If you’ve had an argument with your parents, we can help you work things out together.

What help you can get

The help we offer depends on your situation, but we’ll always give you advice and support.

You may be able to get help if:

  • you're being abused or are at risk of abuse
  • you're leaving care and have nowhere else to go
  • your family has evicted you and you have nowhere else to go.

You might not be able to get to help if:

  • you've had an argument and left home
  • you've been asked to leave because of your behaviour
  • you've lived in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole for under 6 months.

Facts about leaving home

You may have been told by your friends that you’ll get a council flat if you tell us your family has kicked you out, but this is not true. Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole have a shortage of social housing and a long waiting list. You can apply to get on this list at 16, but you cannot get a tenancy until you’re 18.

Getting privately rented accommodation can also be difficult. All letting agents and landlords will ask you to pay a rent deposit, one month of rent in advance and to give details of a guarantor, which is an adult who will pay your rent if you cannot or who pays for any damage that you cause.

Running your own home is expensive. You’ll need to pay for the following things each month:

  • rent
  • Council Tax
  • water
  • electricity and/or gas
  • internet, phone and TV
  • Television Licence
  • food
  • cleaning products.

You’ll also have to pay for any medicine you need, dental appointments and eye exams, and you’ll need to buy your own clothes and do your own laundry.

Contact us  

If you’ve been forced to leave home suddenly and have nowhere to go, call our social services team on 01202 123 334 or visit our Customer Service Centre on St Stephens Road, Bournemouth, BH2 6EB.

Out of hours, you can call our helpline on 01202 392 322 or go to your local police station.