Skip to content

Moving council home in Bournemouth

The Housing Register is our waiting list for people to get council or housing association properties.

Home swapping

You could also register for a mutual exchange through HomeSwapper. This is a free service with a national database of all council and housing association tenants in the UK who are interested in swapping their homes.

Before you move, you’ll need permission from us, and any other council or housing association involved. Introductory tenants are not allowed to apply for a mutual exchange.

We may refuse to give you permission to swap your home if:

  • we feel the home you want is too big or small for your needs
  • the home you want has special features for disabled or elderly people that you do not need
  • we’ve had to take action against you for rent arrears, antisocial behaviour or any other breach of your tenancy
  • your home was let to you as part of your employment.

Sometimes you’ll need to meet other conditions, such as carrying out repairs, before we’ll give you permission to move.

Other schemes and offers

If you would like to move to a smaller property, our Rightsize scheme offers financial incentives and practical help with the costs of moving house. Alternatively, you could consider low-cost home ownership schemes.

To find out more, contact us by: