Skip to content

Lodgers and subletting for council homes in Bournemouth


You have the right to let a lodger with you in your council home, provided there’s enough room and this does not overcrowd your home. You do not need to get our permission.  

If you have any lodgers living with you in your property, they will not have the same rights as you, and they must leave when you move out.  

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit, you must notify us as soon as anyone else moves into your home. Having a lodger may affect your entitlement to benefits.  

You might not be entitled to Council Tax discounts and exemptions if you’re no longer the only adult living in your home.  


Subletting means that someone pays you rent to have the private use of a part of your home. You need to get our written permission before you can sublet any part of your home.    

You cannot sublet your home to another person and move out of the property. If you move out, your tenancy will no longer be secure. This means you’ll lose your rights as a secure tenant.

Unlawful subletting is a criminal offence, and we will take legal action to recover possession of your home.