Skip to content

Report a noise nuisance

You can report a noise problem to us if the noise is having a significant impact on you and your family.

Before you report a noise problem to us, you should try to speak to the person responsible for the noise.

To help you do this you can contact Mediation Dorset or find out about resolving neighbour disputes on GOV.UK.

Should talking with them not resolve the problem, or you feel unable to approach them, you could write a letter.

If this doesn't sort out the problem or you can't talk to the person, we might be able to help.

Noise nuisances we deal with 

We can investigate noise from:

  • noisy neighbours, like loud music, shouting or DIY at night
  • burglar and car alarms
  • animals, like barking dogs or crowing cockerels
  • building sites
  • noisy equipment in a commercial property
  • pubs and clubs
  • deliveries or waste collections at a commercial property.

We can't investigate:

  • if you don't know where the noise is coming from
  • everyday household noise, such as footsteps, doors closing, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, children playing, babies crying or talking
  • traffic, aircraft or railway noise
  • noise from outdoor sports
  • noise in the street, such as vehicles left running, car stereos, shouting or car horns.

How to report a noise nuisance

To report a noise problem you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • what the noise is
  • where you think the noise is coming from
  • how long the noise lasts for
  • how often the noise happens
  • the time the noise usually happens
  • how the noise is affecting you and your family.

Out of hours noise service

To report a noise problem that is happening outside of normal working hours, call us on: