Skip to content

Voting if you're a student

If you're a student, you may be able to register to vote at both your home address and your term-time address.

You can check (for free) if you're already on our electoral register by:

Voting in a national poll 

National polls are considered to be one election, but local elections are considered separate elections.

You can only vote once in a national poll, such as a general election or a national referendum.

This means you must choose if you want to vote at your home address or at your term-time address.

It is a criminal offence to vote twice in one election.

If you're not able to make it to the polling station on the day, then you can either:

Voting in a local election

If your home and university addresses are in two different local authority areas, you can vote in local elections in both areas.

This is because they are separate elections.

If they are in the same local authority area the national rules apply.