Chairman of BCP Council
The Chairman of BCP Council is the first citizen of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole. The current Chairman is Councillor David Flagg.
About Councillor David Flagg
David was born in Ringwood and moved to Burton with his wife in 1981.
David has worked in the Construction Industry since leaving Secondary Education in 1973. A carpenter and Joiner by trade, David moved towards a Supervisory and Managerial role in 1998 overseeing the delivery of Construction and Civil Engineering Projects to the Value of £1m.
Following the introduction of new Regulations in the Industry in 1994, David took a sidestep, re-training in the field of Occupational Health and Safety. Having qualified in 1999 he formed his own Consultancy Practice and is currently a Chartered Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health and a Registered Safety Practitioner. He has worked on a number of prestigious projects in London including the Shard of Glass and St Mary Axe (The Gherkin).
David was first elected to Christchurch Borough Council in 1999 and has served five consecutive terms of office before being elected to the BCP Council in 2019 he is also a Parish Councillor and has represented Burton & Winkton since 1999. During his terms of office at Christchurch, David served on a number of committees including Community Services and Scrutiny. David was appointed to the newly formed Licensing Committee in 2003 following the introduction of the new Licensing Act.
He has served for a number of years as Chairman of the Licensing committee; during this period he undertook additional training and is a Personal License holder.
In 2008 David was elected as Mayor of the Ancient Borough of Christchurch and was reelected in 2009.
He is the last Mayor of Christchurch to have served a two-year term of office, an achievement that he considers an honour and privilege bestowed on him by his fellow Councillors.
In 2019 David was elected as the first Chairman of the new BCP Council which was formed in April that year. In his spare time David enjoys watching Speedway and likes to go fishing and caravanning.
Role, duties and responsibilities
The Chairmans role is to:
- promote the BCP area as a place to live and visit
- promote the towns locally, nationally and internationally
- promote, liaise and link with private and voluntary sector organisations
- participate in and help initiate activities that enhance the economic, social, cultural and environmental well-being of the former boroughs and their residents
- act as host to official visitor to the town
- represent the Council at ceremonial events
- carry out all duties in a manner appropriate to the status and tradition of the office.
The Chairman also has the following responsibilities:
- to uphold and promote the purposes of the constitution
- to preside over meetings of Full Council and ensure meetings follow the procedures set out in the constitution
- to be the conscience of the Council.
How to contact the Chairman
You can contact the Chairman by email at email@example.com.
The Vice-Chairman is Councillor Laurence Fear.