Skip to content

Religious community exemption

A person can be disregarded for Council Tax if they are a member of a religious community where the principal occupation is prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any combination of these.

Find out if you’re eligible

To be exempt, the person must have:

  • no income, except for any occupational pension due to a former employment
  • no capital of their own.

They must depend on the community for their material needs.

How to apply

To apply for an exemption, please complete our form. You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number.

Apply for religious community exemption (Bournemouth residents).

Apply for religious community exemption (Christchurch residents).

Apply for religious community exemption (Poole residents).

If you need any help with completing the form, please contact us.