Detained person exemption

A person can be disregarded for Council Tax if they are detained in certain circumstances.

Find out if you’re eligible

Those eligible include people:

  • detained in a prison, hospital or any other place by a court orderDetained under The Immigration Act 1971
  • detained under The Mental Health Act 198

An exemption will apply to a property where the owner or tenant is detained and the property is left unoccupied.

No discount or exemption will apply if:

  • the person is in prison for non-payment of either Council Tax or a fine
  • there are still two or more people in the household over 18 who are counted for Council Tax purposes.

How to apply

To apply for an exemption, please complete our form. You’ll need to know your Council Tax account number.

Apply for detained person discount (Bournemouth residents).

Apply for detained person discount (Christchurch residents).

Apply for detained person discount (Poole residents).

If you need any help with completing the form, please contact us.