Help for those who have experienced domestic abuse
What is domestic abuse?
Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse. Experienced by those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality,
This can include, but is not limited to:
- Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
- Psychological and/or emotional abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Online or digital abuse.
Where to get help
Local support organisations
- BCP BCHA Domestic Abuse Referrals & Support Line: 01202 710 777
- Bournemouth Women’s Refuge: 01202 547 755
- Citizen Advice Bureau: 01202 290 967
- Sexual Trauma and Recovery Service: 01202 308 855
- Victim Support: 0808 168 9111 (National support)
- Victim Support: 0300 303 0163 (Dorset support).
There are also national organisations which can help:
- National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV)
0800 970 2070
- The National 24 Domestic Violence Helpline
0808 2000 247
- Mankind Initiative For Men experiencing/have experienced domestic abuse 01823 334 244
- Survivors UK For Men who have been raped or sexually abused 0845 122 1201
Forced marriage and honour based abuse or crimes
- Forced Marriage Unit For anyone who believes they are going to be forced to marry as well as anyone who wants to leave a forced marriage 020 7008 0151
- Karma Nirvana For those experiencing so called 'honour' based abuse and/or forced marriage 0800 5999 247
- Southall Black Sisters Advises those experiencing domestic abuse, honour crimes and forced marriage 020 8571 0800
- Childline has a useful website and helpline for children and young people 0800 1111
- Get Connected is a confidential helpline for people under 25 0808 808 4994
- The Hideout Website has advice tailored to children and young people who think they are in an abusive relationship
- Respect Not Fear is a website for young people with information on healthy relationships and where to get help if you are in an abusive relationship.
Support for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community
- Galop - LGBT anti-violence and abuse charity support lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people who have had experienced hate crime, sexual violence, domestic abuse, problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system 0300 999 5428
- The Intercom Trust Intercom Trust is a lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans community resource in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and the wider South West 0800 612 3010.
People who identify as abusers and want to stop
- Respect For people who identify they are abusive to their partners and wish to stop 0808 802 4040