Skip to content
Coast Banner

Information for childcare providers

Ofsted briefing - May 2022

Oftsed briefing information - Thursday 5 May 2022

Useful documents and information

HMRC Tax Office have an e-learning package with tax advice for childminders.

Ofsted have updated guidance on inspecting registered early years and childcare providers:

Childminders hosting people from Ukraine

The Department for Education's Foundation Years website has published guidance for childminders hosting people from Ukraine.

Updating your information

We recommend that you regularly visit the Early Years Provider Portal to update your vacancy information and check that your costs and other information are still relevant.

Reporting changes to Ofsted

You must tell Ofsted in advance about any changes that will affect your childcare.

You can read a full list of changes you must report on pages 34 and 35 of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage.

You can use the EY3 form to tell Ofsted about certain changes to individuals, including names, addresses and any start or leave dates.

To inform Ofsted of any changes, you can call them on 0300 123 1231 or email the appropriate form to

Alternatively, you can access the relevant forms and guidance on the GOV.UK page 'Providing childcare services in England' and submit online.

To use this service, you will need to log in using your Government Gateway ID.

Reporting accidents and incidents

You can access the relevant forms and guidance on the GOV.UK page Report a serious childcare incident to report:

  • the death of a child
  • where a person’s suitability to look after children might be affected, including:
  • involvement with social services or the police
  • something significant affecting their health
  • events that might affect the smooth running of the childcare, such as a fire or flooding at the premises
  • serious accidents, injuries or illnesses to a child, including confirmed cases of COVID-19 (coronavirus)
  • food poisoning affecting 2 or more children.

To complete this, you’ll need to have

  • your reference number 
  • the childcare address
  • details of the incident and those involved.

Disclosure and Barring Service

Information for Childminders

If you are registering anyone who is 16 years or older (for example an assistant or a child in your home), please visit the Ofsted DBS application website.

You must register with the DBS update service within 30 days of the date your DBS certificate was issued.

Apply online for a EY2 Form.

Information for pre-schools

Who is registered and what are their responsibilities? Please see the Guide to Registration for further information.

If you are a committee member, trustee or a director you will be a ‘Registered Person’. Don’t forget if any ‘Registered Person’ changes you must notify Ofsted.

Jobs and training

Visit the Careers in Childcare website for information on current job vacancies. You will also find up to date news and information regarding working in childcare.

Access Skillgate for training, workshops and conferences. If you have issues accessing the website, logging in or any other issues, please email

Business sustainability and sufficiency

We have a dedicated webpage for more information on childcare business sustainability and childcare sufficiency assessment.

General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

The GDPR applies to:

  • personal data
  • sensitive personal data.

The Information Commissioner's Office is committed to assisting businesses and public bodies to prepare to meet the requirements of the GDPR and have a dedicated section on their website that gives further information to ensure businesses remain compliant.

Useful websites

We've put together a list of useful websites. This will be regularly updated so please do let us know if you have a good link to share or would like anything added.