Skip to content

Explosives licences

Explosives and fireworks licenses

You need a licence from us if you want to store and sell explosives (up to 2000kg).

This licence permits you to sell fireworks during the following four periods each year:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • the first day of the Chinese New Year and three days preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days preceding it.

Applying for an explosives licence

To apply for a storage licence please complete the application form, provide the documentation detailed in the form and pay the application fee. This should then be emailed to, or posted to:

Trading Standards,  
Town Hall Annex,  
St Stephen’s Road,  
BH2 6EA.

The licence needs to be renewed each year if you wish to continue storing explosives. An annual renewal fee is payable. In some circumstances, we may accept renewal applications for periods greater than one year, based on the history of the premise concerned. In this situation, please contact us before applying or making a payment. 

If you want to sell fireworks outside of the periods listed above, you need an annual fireworks licence from us. To apply for an annual licence, please complete the application form. An application fee of £500 is payable. This licence is in addition to the storage licence. You will need to complete both forms. 

If you want to store in excess of 2,000 kg of explosives you need to contact the Health and Safety Executive