Applying to license your venue

Licensing a venue for marriages and civil partnerships

If you want to hold weddings and civil partnerships in your premises, you must be a commercial business.

You apply to us for a 'grant of approval' to hold civil marriages and civil partnerships.

The grant of approval will be valid for a minimum of 3 years. You can apply to renew your grant of approval if it expires in less than a year.


To license your venue it is necessary to:

  • identify a specific room or rooms where weddings or civil partnerships will take place. This must be part of the building - not in the open air or under a marquee
  • ensure the premises have all the necessary fire and safety provisions
  • keep the premises 'seemly and dignified' and that they will be regularly available for marriages or civil partnerships, this is at our discretion.

There are no results that match your criteria.