Bournemouth Recycling Centre
April to September:
- 9am to 5pm, Monday to Sunday.
October to March:
- 9am to 4pm, Monday to Sunday.
The recycling centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day but please check the website for updates before travelling.
Last entry is 15 minutes before closing time.
Who can use the recycling centre
You can use Bournemouth Recycling Centre if you live in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole.
You can also use Christchurch Recycling Centre and Poole Recycling Centre. Please check individual web pages for restrictions before travelling.
Please take some identification with you to prove you live in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole. You can use:
- current Council Tax bill
- photocard driving licence
- any utility bill that shows your name and address.
Some Dorset residents have access to BCP Council recycling centres, refer to the Dorset Council website for eligibility.
Pedestrians (on foot or on a bicycle) are allowed to bring waste to the site but must report at the security gate and provide the appropriate evidence of BCP Council residency. Pedestrians must follow the guidance of site staff at all times. Pedestrians cannot bring waste onto the site that they cannot carry themselves and must be no larger than a bin bag/rucksack. Pedestrian access is not allowed by residents driving to the site, parking outside the site and taking their waste in on foot.
What you can take to Bournemouth Recycling Centre
The following materials are recycled, composted, reused or recovered for free:
- large household items such as fridges, computers, televisions, mattresses and furniture
- garden waste, not invasive weeds such as Japanese knotweed, Hogwort
- all kinds of wood and metal items.
- household paints, garden pesticides and chemicals - must be clearly identifiable
- car batteries, household batteries and oil
- up to 5L of fuel/oil in their own containers (decanting may not be possible)
- light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- gas bottles
- textiles such as clothes, shoes, linen
- books, CDs and DVDs
- excess recycling - paper, cardboard, cans, glass and plastic bottles
- excess household refuse.
There are charges for bringing certain materials to the recycling centre.
Commercial waste can be accepted at Bournemouth Recycling Centre and Poole Recycling Centre.
Charity waste acceptance
Charities are not permitted to use the recycling centres. However, charities in the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area can apply for a charity permit, subject to our terms and conditions, to dispose of donated household waste. Access is only allowed via the commercial weighbridges at Bournemouth and Poole Recycling Centres (no access is permitted at Christchurch Recycling Centre). To apply for a charity permit and once you’ve read our terms and conditions, please call our customer services team on 01202 123 123.
Van and trailer restrictions
Van and trailer restrictions apply at the recycling centre. If you are visiting with a trailer, it must be a maximum size of 6’ x 4’ (1.8m x 1.2m). Vans must have a valid permit or a hire agreement of a maximum of three days.
Vehicles that require a permit and are towing a trailer are not allowed to access our recycling centres.