Skip to content

Household rubbish bin collections

Your household rubbish will be collected every two weeks.

We do not collect bins on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day.

Depending on your circumstances, each household has been allocated one of the following two options:

  • standard: 180 litre black rubbish bin
  • bag and box: 2 authorised blue sacks per fortnight.

There is a charge of £12.50 per year for authorised blue sacks. Please use our online form to request sacks.

Disposing of your lateral flow testing kit at home

With many people now taking lateral flow tests for COVID-19 at home, please follow our advice on how to safely dispose of your used testing kit:

  • place all of the items from the test and the plastic packaging into the bag provided and then put into your general waste bin for disposal - it cannot be recycled. This applies whether the test result is positive or negative
  • if there are disposable gloves and masks in the test kit, these cannot be recycled either and should be put in with your general waste
  • all the cardboard packaging and information leaflet that the test came with can be put in your recycling bin.

Using your household rubbish bin

Please make sure you put your bin out by 5am on your collection day

Make sure the lid is closed and the bin is at the edge of your property, where the waste collection team can see it from the road and collect it easily.

Please do not put out any extra rubbish bags for collection.

If your bin is too heavy to be wheeled to the back of our collection vehicle, we will not be able to empty it.

What you can put in your household rubbish

  • disposable nappies
  • plastic film and polystyrene
  • broken glass (wrapped in paper)
  • cold ashes
  • pet waste (including cat litter)
  • medical and sanitary waste
  • disposable razors (wrapped in paper)
  • tissues and paper towels
  • polystyrene
  • foil based wrapping paper.

What you cannot put in your household rubbish

Assisted collections

If you cannot put your bin out for collection due to being disabled or physically unable, you can apply for an assisted collection. You should only ask if there is no one else at the property who can help.