Skip to content
Coast Banner

Adapting your home (adaptations)

You may struggle to live safely and independently at home because of a disability or your old age. Our fact sheet contains information about changes you can make to your property to make your life easier, and we may be able to help you pay for them to help you stay independent at home.

An occupational therapist visits you at home to assess the difficulties you have with day-to-day living.

They advise on options to help, including adaptations to your home that can help with how you access, move around within, and use the rooms.

These might include:

  • advice on other ways to manage tasks
  • some equipment to help
  • a Telecare system to let people know if you need help
  • adaptations to your home.

Paying for changes to your home  

You may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help pay for the adaptations you need. 

The occupational therapist assesses your needs and makes recommendations. If you qualify for a grant, they can help you to apply for this financial assistance.

Apply for a home needs assessment  

Get in touch with our Adult Social Care Contact Centre to ask for an assessment of your needs by an occupational therapist.

Read the Adaptations to Your Home Factsheet.